The word Evangelist comes from a Greek word "Evangelion". It means someone who gives a message of good news.
It is similar to the word "Gospel". Paul was not ashamed of the Gospel.
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth;"
Are you interested in being a bearer of the good news of the Gospel?
An Evangelist is someone who brings the Gospel to people, so that they can come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
This can be done in four different ways:
- Evangelizing people in Churches.
- Tent Evangelism.
- Mass Evangelism.
- Personal Evangelism.
This study will provide you with information that will help you to be a successful Evangelist.
Let us deal with these different aspects of Evangelism.
- Evangelizing people in Churches:
An Evangelist who ministers in Churches may be effective in doing several things, namely:
- Winning to Christ lost soul, invited to attend Church services.
- Ministering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit to those in need.
- Spiritually refreshing and reviving Christians in the local Church.
These Evangelists need to consider the following:
- To pre-plan and pre-arrange their itinerary.
- To prayerfully prepare for their meetings.
- To know the place of ministry.
- They need to clearly know their objective in ministry there.
- They need the local Church to prepare for the services.
- The Church needs to invite the unsaved to the meetings.
- They need to arrive at meetings on time.
- They need to have sufficient time to minister.
- They should encourage members to honor their Pastor.
- They should be blessed financially after they have ministered.
- They should never have a selfish motive for ministry.
- They should thank the Pastor and local Church, for their hospitality and financial gift.
- Tent Evangelism:
Tent Evangelism is very similar to that of the local Church.
Tent Evangelists need to consider the following:
- The services should be advertised and other Churches may be invited to participate.
- The tent site should be carefully selected.
- All city or county codes should be respected and complied with.
- There should be ample parking facilities.
- There should be toilet facilities available.
- The seating should be comfortable and the lighting good.
- There should be a pleasant and friendly atmosphere.
- The sound equipment should be excellent.
- The heating and cooling systems should be working.
- There should be space to stand in front of the platform.
- Ushers should be on duty to serve the visitors.
- The ministry program should be well organized:
- Welcoming the people is important and ushers appointed for this purpose.
- Praise and worship should be effective.
- The participating Pastors and Churches should be recognized.
- Ministries in music and song may be provided.
- Receiving and processing the offering correctly with accountability is important.
- The Ministry of the Word should be powerful and timely.
- People should be invited to receive salvation.
- Ministering to the needs of people should be effective.
- The service should be ended in Prayer.
- People should be invited to attend the next service.
- Clearing and cleaning up the tent and tent site is important when all is done.
- Mass Evangelism:
Mass Evangelism is very similar to tent evangelism.
However, everything that is organized and done is done on a much larger scale.
Whereas the tent ministry focuses on hundreds and possibly thousands, mass evangelism focuses on hundreds of thousands of people.
The arrangements incorporate the following:
- The use of Large Stadiums
- The co-operation of hundreds of Churches
- Radio, Television, Billboard and Internet advertising
- The organization, ushering and ministry to crowds of people
- Effective sound equipment
- The effective follow up of thousands of converts
- Sufficient Bathroom facilities.
- Personal Evangelism:
When approaching this ministry, Christians should strongly desire to win people individually to Christ and have the right attitude.
Ten aspects of having a right attitude toward personal evangelism:
When building relationships with non-believers, we need to be genuine, trustworthy and as good as our word. We need to be truthful, keep our appointments and always be on time.
A humble person is able to communicate with people on all levels and in most situations. Humble soul winners do not think of themselves more highly than others.
To lead someone to the Lord takes time. We need to be patient when someone is hearing, receiving, questioning and understanding the Gospel, to be saved.
Being sensitive to the needs of people in order to understand, comfort and counsel them.
We need to have understanding for the way people react to our message and regardless of what they say we should be gracious.
We need to have compassion for people and look beyond their faults to their needs and pain. This kind of love is manifest in word and deed.
Making someone a friend will makes it easier for them to receive the Gospel from us.
Enthusiasm attracts and motivates people. If you believe in your message, you will present a more enthusiastic and believable Gospel.
We need to complete the task of ministering to a person with persistence. Satan will use everything he can to interrupt, disrupt or stop us from leading someone to Christ.
Before, during and after presenting the Gospel to a person, we need to remain in constant prayer for the person. It is advisable to have someone praying and interceding for you and your evangelism ministry. Choose the right person as a prayer partner, who you can call and agree with in prayer, whenever you need to.
There are at least five areas of soul winning:
- Evangelistic services
Invite family, friends and others to hear the preaching of the Gospel at church services. We should first reach our own circle of influence. This includes our family, friends or work associates, who are people we care about, with whom we can share the good news of salvation.
- The mail service
By mailing out tracts and Christian literature we can spread the Gospel.
- Personally giving out tracts
One can give out tracts in the neighborhood or at the shopping mall.
By visiting the sick at hospitals, we can encourage and share the Gospel with them. Many people do not have visitors and may be waiting for someone to talk to.
- Door to door
By going from door to door, one can meet, get to know people, invite them to church and talk to them about the Lord. This may be done in a group or at least two people.
It is important to know how to do soul winning.
There are correct ways of doing Evangelism and we need to know and use these right techniques.
Here are eleven important aspects:
- Know the material you use.
Familiarize yourself with the Gospel Booklets you are going to use, understand the illustrations and know the scriptures used in them.
- Try to find a private place where you can witness to someone.
The right setting for soul winning is where it can be done one on one. This could be at a kitchen table or a park bench. In a public place, look for a person that is sitting alone.
- Names are important.
Always introduce yourself to a person by name, and be sure to remember and continuously use their name during the conversation.
- Show an interest in them.
Find out about them, their occupation, their family and things they are interested in.
- Always maintain eye contact.
By doing this you can know if they are listening and are interested in what you are saying
- Get permission to read your booklet.
This is courteous and will avoid any embarrassment.
- Read the booklet aloud.
When reading, always do so slowly and articulately. If necessary, be willing to stop and explain if requested to do so.
- Involve the listener in the process.
Allow the listener to participate in a two-way conversation, by asking questions.
- Avoid unnecessary questions.
Answering many questions will sidetrack you and get you off the subject. Sidestep a question by telling the person you would love to answer their question. Ask them if you could complete what you were saying and then deal with their question later.
- Avoid arguments.
Our purpose is not to win arguments, it is to win souls.
- Be led by the Holy Spirit.
The most important part of soul winning is to be led by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit organizes the Church worldwide evangelism program. We must be sensitive to Him and hear His voice. He will tell us when, where, how and with whom we must share the Gospel. When He speaks to us or leads us, it can be best described as a clear voice, a strong impression or a flash of information that comes to us. We must then act upon His leading. Sometimes He speaks to us by giving us an idea or mental picture and sometimes He speaks to us in a dream or vision.
Here is an example -
"Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot."
A system of soul winning
One must clearly have a system of soul winning. This system consists of at least three things:
- Successfully contacting people
You cannot evangelize unless you have a person to talk to. We should always be looking for people to evangelize. This can be done with family, friends, work associates and neighbors.
- Approaching people correctly
People should be approached very courteously, carefully and gently. Be well organized, groomed and confident when approaching someone.
- Ways of approaching people:
- Casual conversations.
- Door to door surveys.
- Hospital visits.
- A pre-arranged visit.
Let us look at three of them:
Your communication with people must be effective and consists of three parts;
- Door to door survey.
When doing such a survey, one needs to be fully prepared. Determine which neighborhood, street and homes need to be approached. Have a survey sheet and a pen ready to be used. Approach every home with friendliness, confidence and speak clearly.
One may possibly use this approach:
"Hi! My name is .......
and I'm from ........church
We're doing a church survey in the neighborhood getting to know people.
Everyone's been so nice and friendly today."
Then small talk.......(the weather – other)
"Well I’ll only take a minute of your time so I'll be very brief.
May I ask - are you folk's church going people? ......
If you won't be offended - may I ask where do you go to church?"……
Then proceed with the survey and complete it.
Hand them some Christian literature and tell them you would love to drop by some time and visit with them. Then say goodbye.
- Hospital visit
When approaching those in hospital, be sure that they are alone and that it is convenient to talk with them. Use the same method as above when visiting a person in their home. If possible give them a tract that will comfort and help them in their sickness. Pray with them that God will help and heal them. Ask if there is anything that they need.
- Visiting a person in their home
When witnessing to a person in their home, the process of evangelism can be extended into three visits, and here is a suggestion:
- The first visit is where the initial contact is made.
- The second visit can be with a booklet, DVD or evangelism.
- The third visit can take the form of an end-time seminar, where information can be shared about the soon coming of Jesus Christ. If the person was saved during the second visit, the third visit could serve as an opportunity to reach the family and friends of the newly saved person.
Be sure to listen, more than you speak and ask the person questions about themselves, their family, their work and their achievements. To help the person to talk, ask them questions that are open ended.
For example -
If they say that they have two children, ask them what their children’s names are. Get them to talk about the people and things they love. This will help them to relax and feel comfortable with you. Always address them by their name. Win their friendship.
- Discern the person, their needs and try to understand them
- We need to understand more about who they are, what they are thinking and if there are any hindrances to their receiving the Gospel.
- The person may or may not realize that they have a spiritual need.
- They may be receptive or hostile to the Gospel.
- They may be disappointed in a church or a Christian.
- They may have gone through some major trauma of divorce or death in their family.
- Find out if they are saved and where they attend church.
- Are they open and ready to receive the Gospel?
- Do they have major problems that are occupying their mind?
- What is the soil of their heart like?
- Is it good, thorny, stony or wayside ground?
“When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.”
- Soul winners must endeavor to sow Gods Word in good ground.
Ground needs to be prepared by weeding, tilling it and revisiting it before sowing the seed of God’s Word. (That is carefully and timely removing those things that hinder first)
Make sure that the task is completed.
If you decide that it is time to proceed with the message, make sure that you do the very best you can. It may be the only opportunity the person ever has to be saved. In order to be completely successful in ministry to an unsaved person, the Word of God must have free and full course.
2 Thessalonians 3:1
Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
This can be best described as:
- The Word of God is sown into a person’s life
- The person believes and receives the Word
- The person confesses their sins
- The person receives Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord
- The person is born again
- The person testifies that they are a follower of Jesus Christ
- The person starts bearing spiritual fruit unto righteousness
It is important for a soul winner to -
- realize the value of the seed of God’s Word.
- Sow the seed prayerfully and carefully!
The process of presenting the message can easily be remembered by four letters - F O R M and they stand for:
F - Family
O - Occupation
R - Religion
M - Message
Before getting to the point of actually sharing the message with the person, it is important to find out more about their family, what work they do, what church they go to and what needs they have.
This can be done by following the FORM method.
While doing this they will relax and receive your message.
The actual message
When you are ready to proceed with the message, the following question may be asked:
"John/Mary, are you interested in spiritual things?"
- If they reply- "Yes"
Then you can say - "It’s wonderful to meet someone interested in spiritual things."
- If they reply - "No"
Then you can say - "I appreciate you being honest with me.”
If they have answered yes, then proceed with the following question:
Have you heard of the four spiritual laws?
Then use the tract called “The Four Spiritual Laws” (Be ready to read it with them)
If they say no, they haven’t, then ask:
"Would you mind if I share them with you?"
If they say yes, then proceed to share them with them.
or you may ask -
"Have you heard of the 5 Spiritual Keys to experience the Good Life?"
If they say no, they haven’t, then ask:
"Would you mind if I share them with you?"
The 5 Spiritual Keys to experience the Good Life:
- God loves us.
The first key is to understand that God loves us with an immeasurable love:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
- God loves us in spite of the fact that we are sinners.
"God commends his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
We then may ask the question:
John / Mary - "How many sins must one do to make you a sinner?"
The answer is – one isn’t it?
Then we ask:
"Is there anyone who has never committed one sin?
Let the Bible answers that question:
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"
What is amazing is that God loves us in spite of our sin.
- Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation.
There are many other ways men have tried, unsuccessfully to be saved.
They have tried:
- - Good deeds
- - Religion
- - Wealth
- - Fame
There is only one way - Jesus Christ and He said:
“I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
“I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved.”
"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
- Today is the day of salvation.
This fourth key is to understand that salvation is an experience for today. The only moment we are sure of is - now and not tomorrow. The moment to be saved is now and not tomorrow, because we may not be alive tomorrow.
"Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth."
We should not take the chance of dying and standing before God in judgment, without being saved.
"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:"
- Salvation is as easy as ABC.
The fifth Key is to do the things that God requires, to receive salvation and the good life.
To receive salvation you should do these five things:
- - Acknowledge that you are a sinner.
- - Believe that Jesus Christ died to save you.
- - Repent and confess that you are a sinner.
- - Receive Jesus into your heart as your Savior.
- - Ask Him to wash away your sin.
- - Ask God to make you His child and write your name in His Book of Life.
After you have completed sharing these five spiritual Keys, proceed and ask this question -
John/Mary - "When is the best time to invite Jesus into your life to save you?
Help them to answer the question by saying -
The best time is right now!
If they agree, then proceed and say -
I'm glad that you said that.
Several years ago I also said that, and someone took the time to pray with me and help me to be saved.
"I'm here to help you and pray with you.
Now as I pray, repeat these words aloud after me.
Dear God, I come to you in Jesus name.
I have sinned against you and ask you to forgive all my sins I have ever done.
Jesus, I receive you into my life as my Lord and Savior.
Would you please cleanse me with your precious Blood and wash away all my sin.
God please make me your child right now.
I receive you as my Heavenly Father in Jesus name - Amen.
Caring for the new Believer
Now proceed to congratulate the person and welcome them into Gods family.
Do three things for them:
- Motivate them
When new believers are born again into Gods family, they are newborn babes and require a lot of tender loving care. They have to be nurtured with the milk of the Word and protected from all spiritual harm. They have to be discipled and taught how to be a successful Christian. They need to be taught to read their Bible, pray and attend church services. When they are downhearted, persecuted or attacked by satan, they need to be encouraged and taught how to withstand the enemy attack. The soul winner must ensure that they are shepherded and cared for.
- Integrate them
It is important for a new Christian to attend church services and grow spiritually. They need to have fellowship with other Christians in the church. They need to become aware of all the activities of the local church program and get involved.
- Activate them
When Believers feel comfortable within the setting of a local church, they will begin to feel a desire to become active within the church. There are many activities that believers can become involved in. They need to be introduced to the many opportunities of ministry that they can be a part of. These are activities will ensure the using of their talents.
Difficult cases and excuses:
Here are excuses that people make when being ministered to and scriptures that can be used to help them:
I'm not a bad person and always try to do good.
"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"
I'll accept the Lord later.
"Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth."
2 Corinthians 6:2
"For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."
I'm too big a sinner.
"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."
I've got to give up too much.
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"
A loving God won't send anyone to hell.
It is satan who deceives us and causes us to go to hell.
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
I'm a righteous person and don't need salvation.
"We are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;"
I've tried before and failed.
"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy."
I'm a good person and good people go to heaven.
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
I think I've committed the unpardonable sin.
"Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon."
There are over two thousand different religions, in the world today and many people are in confusion and being misled. It would be very difficult for a new Christian to deal with people that are a part of a false cult. It is important that new Christian soul winners never become involved in discussions they have no knowledge of. It is wise to refer all such cases to a spiritually mature and equipped Soul winner.
Tools for soul winners
The following tools are necessary for soul winners, namely:
- A Bible
- A pen
- Survey forms
- An area map
- A flashlight
- A notebook
- A good tract like the Four Spiritual Laws
- An appointment diary
- Good administration, follow up forms and material.
The paperwork that could be used for good administration
- A church survey form
This church survey form can be used when going from door to door, doing a church survey.
- A potential convert progress chart
When completed, it keeps a record of the progress made in ministering to a person.
- A circle of influence form
This form helps soul winners record all the names of the people, who are within the convert’s immediate circle of influence.
- A telephone survey form
This form helps a soul winner do telephone evangelism.